Monday, November 29, 2010

Steven Curtis Chapman - Believe Me Now

When I was a teenager, one of my favorite uncles introduced me to Steven Curtis Chapman. Since that time, I have become a faithful listener and admirer of Steven Curtis Chapman. I started following his blog off and on about 2 years ago when his youngest daughter tragically died in an accident at their home. Listening to this family reel from their heartache yet continue to believe in a Savior that seemed confusing yet faithful has been both heart wrenching and inspiring.

I was listening to one of his CDs (All Things New) in the car the other day and heard this song. A beautiful song. Take a listen and ponder some of these thoughts.

Many times off and on, in large and small ways, I have felt the anxiousness and desperation of the enemy closing in on me. Trying to find the strength to fight that enemy seemed impossible. Depression that was mind consuming with a family falling apart. Constant tears with no one who could truly understand and no idea of when that depression or the darkness that caused it might lift.

God knows that feeling. He has felt it.

When going through darkness such as this and worse, it is important to make ourselves remember His goodness and faithfulness in our lives. Remembering that He kept me breathing through that crippling depression - that he protected parts of me to not be damaged through that process are important in hindsight. It is impossible, at least it was for me, to remember those things in the midst of those experiences and to believe He is going to continue to be faithful. In hindsight, I can see parts where He was present. I can see times in my life before and since where I felt His abundant faithfulness. I believe that making a list, journalling and concretely remembering His faithfulness is what will get us through those times of darkness. Isn't that what the Old Testament record is about? The authors continually remind the Israelites who God is and what He has done for them as they are wondering about the wilderness, enduring persecution and even in their disobedience. They need reminded to look up and see the One who is consistent despite our and life's inconsistencies.

If you are in a space of relief right now, of experiencing and knowing His faithfulness, remember with me those things and keep them for when it doesn't seem so clear.

If you are in a space of darkness, focus on having enough faith to stand, dear one. He is with you and He will not waste a "single hurt you endure". He is for you.



Believe Me Now

I watch you looking out across the raging water
So sure your only hope lies on the other side
You hear the enemy that's closing in around you
And I know that you don't have the strength to fight
But do you have the faith to stand and...

Believe Me now
Believe Me here
Remember all the times I've told you loud and clear
I am with you and I am for you
So believe Me now
Believe Me now

I am the One who waved my hand and split the ocean
I am the One who spoke the words and raised the dead
And I've loved you long before I set the world in motion
I know all the fears you're feeling now
But do you remember who I am?
Do you..

Believe Me now
Believe Me here
Remember all the times I've told you loud and clear
I am with you
And I am for you

So believe Me now
Believe it's true
I never have, I never will abandon you
And the God that I have always been
I will forever be
So believe Me now

I am the God who never wastes a single hurt that you endure
My words are true, and all My promises are sure
So believe Me now
Oh, believe Me now

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know this isn't the easiest blog to leave comments on because of the sensitivity of these issues, but please do comment, even anonymously. I would love to hear from you.